Pages

Thursday, November 18, 2004

Butch and the Browns

Many in Cleveland are beginning to call for Butch Davis' head. (See this article:
Frustrated fans scream but Browns rally around Davis.) I am not sure if I am one of them or not.

I do have some experience with this. My first professional football game was Sam Rutigliano's last as the Browns' head coach. I stood with 80,000 others and chanted "Good-bye Sam, Good-bye Sam." It was not a warm and fond farewell. But Marty Schottenheimer took over and the Browns won - almost immediately.

Part of me feels that Butch Davis needs more time. There have been so many changes and so many injuries this season. But aren't there every year? Part of me thinks that with a bit more time this team will be playing like it should. It takes time to build continuity and success. No one can win immediately, can they?

But he other part of me thinks that 4 years is enough time to see what you've got. Enough of the excuses. Enough of the rationalization. Produce on the field or head back to college. I want Butch to succeed, not because I love Butch, but because I love the Browns. The Red Sox did it, why can't we?

No comments: