Pages

Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Continuing to Grow, Develop, and Learn

I have been thinking a lot over the last couple of days about how I view the world. Worldview is one of my favorite topics. I love to teach on developing a Christian worldview, but I am beginning to wonder if my own worldview might need some adjustment.

From my college days when Dr. Carter would hold his two hands in front of his face to illustrate that we need to view the world through the lens of the Bible, not vice-versa, I have been convinced. But I am wondering if a different lens has somehow slipped in and colored my own interpretive grid. I am becoming concerned that I have given the lens of political success a primary place in my worldview. I fear that one of my initial gut reactions to news is not how it squares with biblical values but rather how it will affect the President and his agenda.

For instance, today when I logged onto the Drudge Report, the top line story was about how the Red Cross has detailed prisoner abuses at our Gitmo prisons. My first thought was "liberal lie trying to hurt the President." Upon further reflection, though, I remember that the Bible has much to say about care and concern for the downcast and downtrodden, including prisoners. It is the powerful that are often to blame in the Bible because of their mistreatment of people. And God always stands on the side of the mistreated.

So what am I to do? The story might well be a liberal lie. If it is it needs to be rejected. But I need to first consider how it lines up with biblical values and let that be my moral compass.

More to come on this as I continue to think and grow ...

No comments: