Pages

Monday, October 10, 2005

Mark 9:33-37

"They came to Capernaum. When he was in the house, he asked them, 'What were you arguing about on the road?' But they kept quiet because on the way they had argued about who was the greatest. Sitting down, Jesus called the Twelve and said, 'If anyone wants to be first, he must be the very last, and the servant of all.' He took a little child and had him stand among them. Taking him in his arms, he said to them, 'Whoever welcomes one of these little children in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me does not welcome me but the one who sent me.'"


Reflections and thoughts within. Share yours.

3 comments:

Robb Ryerse said...

On Sunday, we heard a wonderful sermon on similar statements of Jesus later in Mark's gospel. Greatness is not found in celebrity, significance, security, or success. It is found in service. This is a kingdom value that stands in sharp contrast to worldly values. And it is a God-thing that it is up this week for me to muse upon.

Unknown said...

Maybe the song should be "I can't even imagine" instead of "I can only imagine". I mean, I can't even imagine being one of the disciples in the presence of Jesus and arguing over who is the greatest. I can't even imagine being James and John and having the cahones to ask Jesus to let us sit on his right and his left.

But that is with 20/20 hindsight and maybe I can imagine being caught up in the excitement and hope that Jesus must have brought that the Kingdom really was at hand. And after all, as part of the inner circle there should be privilege and position, right?

Maybe I can imagine every day asking God for similarly stupid and selfish things. Things that are ultimately irrelevant in the big picture of the kingdom. Maybe I am just as brash in my "prayer list" every day by asking things of Jesus that are unimaginable. Maybe thinking I have "given up" things to serve him makes me feel entitled to some sort of privilege or position over others.

Maybe I need to take a deep breath and look around for someone to serve instead of worrying about where I "fit" in God's hierarchy or what I need today to feel safe, secure, supported or sanctimoneous. Maybe I can imagine . . .

Robb Ryerse said...

My attitude toward and treatment of children is indicative of my attitude toward and treatment of God. Hmmm.