Pages

Monday, May 05, 2008

The Daily Audio Bible

Since the beginning of the new year, I have been listening each day to the Bible being read through the Daily Audio Bible podcast (available through itunes).

Just like with anything, I am sure that the style and voice of Brian Hardin who does the reading won't connect with everyone. But it sure has connected with me. Each day, Brian reads from the Old and New Testaments, the Psalms and wisdom literature. He offers just a bit of commentary and personal reflection and prays. Plus he includes calls and prayer requests from other listeners. I am trying hard not to use all sorts of Christianese when I say it, but this podcast has been a real encouragement and blessing to me.

And it has fueled my fascination with the Bible in general and Israel's history in particular. Just today, I was left shaking my head at the story in Judges of Israel's civil war and the tribe of Benjamin's near extinction. It was eerily reminiscent of Sodom and Gomorrah but with tragic results for Israel. If anyone is thinking of spending more time in the Bible, I'd sure recommend this resource.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Good find! The voice might take some getting used to, but I'm glad it isn't too cheesy.

Anonymous said...

This is neither here nor there, but the guy's voice is interesting: it reminds me of a deep-voiced Casey Kasem.

Robb Ryerse said...

I knew that not everyone would like his voice, but I do. I don't view the Bible as a syrupy-sweet story, and I think Brian's voice matches the grittiness I see in the biblical narrative.