Pages

Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Changing of the Guard

It is hot outside, but that just means that the leaves are going to change colors soon, and that just means one thing - it's almost football season. And I've got some thoughts about this upcoming season.

I think this going to be a year in which we're going to witness the changing of the guard. No dynasty lasts forever. No player remains ageless. No team stays good indeterminably. The window closes, and I think this year we're going to see several long-open windows begin their descent. Even more than that, I think there are some teams and players on the rise that will vie for NFL supremacy.

As I explore this theme, I immediately think of Brett Favre and the Green Bay Packers. Are the Packers sensing what I am - that players get old and it's sometimes better to recognize that and move on before it's too late? I am not sure. Time will tell if they've made the right decision by going with Aaron Rogers. Either way, I don't expect the Pack to repeat last year's success. They need to make way for the rising Vikings.

I also think that it is going to be very difficult for the Patriots to repeat last year's success. They came within a minute of the perfect season. Can they finish this year? Maybe they'll be more motivated than ever after being humiliated in the Super Bowl. More likely, I think the ball will bounce the other way for the Pats. While I tend to think they'll win the AFC East again, I also think the Jets, Bills, and Dolphins will make that a much more interesting division this year.

Another team on the rise, in my opinion is the Raiders. I've got a feeling that come December, they are going to be in the playoff conversation. I'm not sure they'll actually make it, but I think they are going to be in the 8-8 to 9-7 range as a team, which after the last few seasons for them is very respectable.

In addition to the Pats, I think the Colts are going to take a step back toward the pack this year. Last year, three of the four teams from the AFC South made the playoffs last year. It is a highly competitive division. Marvin Harrison is getting older, Peyton Manning is finally showing some wear and tear, and no one is healthy on their defense. If I had to pick today, I would take the Jags as the winners of the South with the Colts getting a Wild Card slot in the playoffs.


Finally, and most importantly, I really think this is the Browns' year to overtake the Steelers in the AFC North. They both finished 10-6 last year, but the Browns have added pieces to the puzzle while the Steelers lost players. Pro football is all about the lines. The Browns have one of - if not the - best offensive lines in the league. They also made huge upgrades to their d-line. Meanwhile, the Steelers lost Alan Fanica to free agency. Their o-line is in shambles right now. Their last game was decided by a missed last second field goal. I think the shift in line quality this year changes the outcome and favors the Browns.

Things change. And for us Browns fans, that's a very good thing.

.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So how does Mr. Favre putting on a J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets jersey affect your outlook? Inquiring minds want to know.

Robb Ryerse said...

I think it makes the Jets a Wild Card team. Sucks to be the Steelers.