Pages

Monday, August 17, 2009

Big Ups to the VOT

I don't like church business meetings. I have been through more than my fair share of miserable ones.

Once, a lady stood up at a business meeting, read my job description and said, "I don't think Robb is doing his job." that started a 2 hour conversation about whether or not I was doing my job.

I've been dismissed from meetings so that people could discuss whether or not I deserved a raise.

There have been plenty of meetings that felt a lot like being taken out to the woodshed.

I've endured a lot of fair and unfair criticism. Not the constructive kind. To my face and behind my back.

I've had to stand up alone before groups and propose and defend decisions I wasn't really personally on board with.

All of this is why business and board meetings tie me up in knots. I get that pit of the stomach feeling. I get the spastic colon.

Yesterday at Vintage, our Oversight Team met. On the way to church, I said to Vanessa, "Will I always feel like this before meetings?"

Such feelings are totally unwarranted when it comes to the Vintage Oversight Team. Rarely have I ever had the opportunity to serve with such a humble, gracious, and good group of people. They amaze me with their concern for our community and for me and Vanessa.

I just want to say a big THANK YOU to these special people.

No comments: