Pages

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

A Birther Backfire?

I tweeted this morning that I haven't been this happy to see a birth certificate since I laid eyes on my own kids'. The truth is, I may be happier about seeing President Obama's birth certificate. I don't remember caring about my kids' birth certificates, but I am so ready for this birther issue to go away.

The conspiracy theorists claiming that the President's birth certificate is a forgery and fake are both predictable and amusing. I feel a little bad for the guy with the book coming out in a couple of weeks entitled Where's the Birth Certificate? We all now know the answer - it's on whitehouse.gov.

The remaining questions now are these: why did the President wait so long to release it? And, why did he choose now to do so?

Though birthers are painted as right-wing loonies, it may be important to remember that it was the Hillary Clinton primary campaign that introduced this the idea that Barack Obama was not a natural born citizen into the political discourse. This issue was not invented by racist talk show hosts. It has been around since 2007. Of all days to blunt the unfounded criticism, why now?

Could it really be Donald Trump?

Here's my theory: I think that the President's political operatives urged him to release his birth certificate to marginalize Trump. The Donald has proven himself to have far more political cache than anyone exected. With a red-meat issue like the birth certificate, Trump could have built a loyal and sizable base, maybe enough of a base to provide a credible challenge to the President. I think they thought that if they released the birth certificate, it would deflate Trump, short-circuit his campaign before it even started.

And I think they are wrong. Rather than embarrassing Trump, the release of the birth certificate will embolden Trump. What Hillary, McCain, Beck and the bunch were unable to do over months and years, Trump did in a few short weeks. He is projecting himself as a person who can get things done. And, he has. He got the President to do something he had refused to do for years.

Today, the President tried to neutralize Donald Trump, and I think it's going to backfire.

.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We must examine the evidence and draw conclusions based upon observations. The document is clearly a fake.

People can draw their own conclusions beyond that, but a scientific methodical examination of the document reveals forgery.

"Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance." —Albert Einstein

http://smashabanana.blogspot.com/2011/04/fake-obama-birth-certificate-released.html