Pages

Friday, April 08, 2005

Not Sure about a Six-Year-Old Watching, but ...

A Russian court has ruled that The Simpsons is not a morally degenerate show. Over spring break, I got my mom to watch an episode because she has always been of the opinion that The Simpsons is the foulest thing on TV, even though she had never seen an episode. The one we watched was about Homer quitting church - only to go through all sorts of problems, which God used to convince him to once again be a regular church attender. Is there any other show not on PAX that has had a morally uplifting storyline like this - where the main characters discipline of church attendance is reinforced? I am with the Russian court.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the Simpsons. Yes, there is the occasional slam on everything I hold sacred. But if you can't laugh at yourself occasionally, what joy is there in life. And, I have found more often than not that the satire in the show ends up reinforcing all we hold dear. After all, isn't that the point of satire?

Robb Ryerse said...

One of the best and most interesting books I have ever read is The Gospel According to The Simpsons.

klasieprof said...

Plus, where else is there a "tv family" that attends church, has more than 2 kids, the mom doesn't work, the dad makes enough to support them, they take regular family vacations, shop together, eat dinner and breakfast together, heck..they could be "Leave it to Beaver"...

Robb Ryerse said...

Now you just sound like me arguing with my mom about The Simpsons.