Pages

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Psalm 104

I have been doing a lot of reflecting lately on Psalm 104, and I thought I would share some of my thoughts.

- The Psalm is about the greatest of God, as seen in creation. His greatness is evident not just in the trees and the sky and the animals but in the order and structure of creation, the way in which it all fits together perfectly. I was talking with my kids yesterday, and we were amazed at how God created people to use oxygen and expel carbon dioxide while vegetation does the exact opposite. God is wise and powerful and creative beyond our comprehension!

- Psalm 104 also highlights the providental care of God for his creation. He didn't just set up this natural world and let it go, spinning away like a top. He cares and provides, not just for us as people, but for all of creation from the wealth of his abundant grace. Here's one of my favorite passages: He makes grass grow for the cattle, and plants for man to cultivate - bringing forth food from the earth: wine that gladdens the heart of man, oil to make his face shine, and bread that sustains his heart (14-15).

- In talking about the vastness of the seas, verses 25-26 says, There is the sea, vast and spacious, teeming with creatures beyond number - living things both large and small. There the ships go to and fro, and the leviathan, which you formed to frolic there. Why are there animals in the seas, fish in such variety and uniqueness? Why are there so many different kinds of species? Why are we still discovering new species we had no idea were there? Simply because God made so many for the fun of it.

God has given us a wonderful world to live in, full of adventure and beauty. This ought to cause us to develop a deep sense of awe and appreciation for the world around us, challenging us to care more for our environment. But even more than that, it ought to cause us to develop a deep sense of awe and appreciation for the creative God who holds it all in the palm of his hand.

May the glory of the LORD endure forever; may the LORD rejoice in his works - he who looks at the earth, and it trembles, who touches the mountains, and they smoke. I will sing to the LORD all my life; I will sing praise to my God as long as I live (31-33).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I like the, "wine that gladdens the heart of man" part.