Pages

Sunday, August 03, 2008

Backhanded Compliments Are the New Negative

I am kind of a sarcastic guy. Sarcasm makes me laugh. That's why John McCain's new web-ads are cracking me up.

When we think negative political ads, we think of the grainy black and white shot that makes the opponent look like he was just caught in a compromising position with a goat. When we think of negative political ads, we don't typically think of highlighting the opponent's immense popularity. But that is exactly what John McCain's new ads do.

One refers to Barack Obama as the biggest celebrity in the world. The other portrays Obama in a neo-messianic light. They are both designed to capitalize on the impending backlash over the media's continuous Obamagasm. And while he's been criticized for them, they made me like John McCain a little more than a did a week ago.

I don't know if this passive aggressive style is going to last through the campaign, but it has kept me interested during the dog days of July. That can't be all bad, right?







No comments: