Pages

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

The Grenz Is Now Four!

I started this little experiment four years ago, the day after GWB defeated John Kerry. It all started with my provocative suggestion that the turning point of the 2004 election was the hospitalization of Chief Justice William Rehnquist (click it old school).

I don't have any particularly original commentary on this election. Two factors seem important to me.

First, I think Rush Limbaugh made a profound observation on his show today when he said that unqualified conservatism has not been on the ballot since 1994 and Newt Gingrich's Contract with America. This election was not a defeat of conservatism but rather a defeat of Republicanism. There is a difference!

Second, I saw a chart a few weeks ago and found it fascinating. John McCain was "in" a race he had no business being in, given the mood of the country and the unpopularity of GWB. His poll numbers were rising. Then, the stock market tanked. And so did his poll numbers. Charted out, the lines are completely parallel. I'll see if I can hunt up the graph and post it here.

I've got more thoughts about the election, but it's supper time.

.

No comments: