Pages

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Everybody Has a Story to Tell. Help Me Tell Mine.

I recently read the following: Writing a book is hard. Editing a book is even harder. Selling a book is the hardest.

I started writing Fundamorphosis: How I Left Fundamentalism But Didn't Lose My Faith over two years ago. I had had the idea for the book for a while - telling the story of my own theological transformation. Leaving fundamentalism and starting a new church required that I reevaluate everything I believed. I needed to sift through it all, getting rid of the chaff and keeping only what truly resonated with me. Vintage Fellowship and, ultimately, Fundamorphosis is the result of that process. 

--

I've had some people ask me for more information about the book. So that you know what to expect, here's a description of Fundamorphosis:

The first section tells about the emotional struggle of leaving fundamentalism. What would it be like to leave behind the belief system and network with which I had grown up? Why was it imperative that I find some new way of having faith?

The second section deals with what I would keep from fundamentalism and what would have to be jettisoned. It's a section about theological method - not so much what I believe but how I believe.

The third section discusses the shape my theology now takes. It has four loci: 
  • Community - I believe that God is a community of Father, Son, and Spirit
  • Story - I believe that God is found in the narrative of Jesus revealed in the Bible
  • Transformation - I believe that God ought to make a difference in my life
  • Hope - I believe that God is up to something in my life and in the world.
--


I finished the manuscript in May and then spent the summer in the editing and rewriting process. That was a surprisingly difficult process through which I learned a great deal of humility. The book is better because of it. The book is now in the production and publication stage. My publisher, Civitas Press, is a small, independent Christian publisher without the market departments of the big boys. Much of the selling of the book will be up to me. 

And since that's the hardest part, I'm now looking for help.

With than in mind, I've started an Indiegogo campaign to help raise money for the marketing and selling of Fundamorphosis. Indiegogo is a crowd-sourced fundraising website. You can donate securely and receive some really cool perks as a thank you. Of course, they get a small cut, but the donations go straight to me. They will enable me to do some important things to help get my story out into the ongoing conversation about the future of Christianity in America. If the Indiegogo campaign is successful, here's some of the things I've got planned:
  • A full-blown website devoted to Fundamorphosis
  • A Fundamorphosis podcast in which I interview people about their own theological transformations
  • Speaking engagements to tell my story
  • A launch party to celebrate with my friends who have been such a help and encouragement to me during this whole process
--

So, I want to put the big ask on you: Will you help me get the word out about Fundamorphosis? I'm not going to say no for you. Please, check out the Indiegogo campaign and donate what you can. Follow this link and learn all about it:

Everybody has a story to tell. Help me tell mine. 

.

No comments: