Pages

Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Terry Schaivo Is Disabled, Not Dead

I have not blogged much about the Terry Schaivo case, but I want to mention what to me is the central issue: Terry Schaivo is disabled, not dead. If she were brain dead and being kept alive by articial means, "life support," I might be more sympathetic to her husband's case. However, she is not dead - she is disabled. Why, as a culture, have we gotten to the point where we think that we can starve disabled people to death, simply because some members of her family no longer want to be bothered by her? I worked for a year in a day program for mentally handicapped people. I learned so much that year. One of the things that I learned is that the disabled, even the profoundly disabled, have the basic rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

1 comment:

klasieprof said...

Shameless Right-Wingers Exploiting Terri Schiavo
http://www.observer.com/pages/conason.asp

WOW this guy goes from Republican bashing, invoking God, to National Health care.....all in one article!!